How to Jump Start a Car
It happens to almost every South Plainfield driver at some point: you’re stranded with a car that won’t turn on because the battery is dead. What do you do? Figure out how to jump start your car battery, and count on the team at VIP Honda for a range of automotive tricks and tips.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Before you start, there are a few things you’ll need to get going:
- Jumper cables
- Another vehicle
- A little know-how
From there, follow these steps to get your car running and back on the road:
- First, make sure the problem is with your car battery. If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over at all, chances are the issue is a dead battery.
- Track down a second vehicle or a portable generator. If you have a portable generator with jumper cables, then you’re all set. If not, you’ll need to find a working vehicle and take out a set of jumper cables.
- Put the two cars nose to nose, then make sure both vehicles are in park. This positioning allows the jumper cables to reach both batteries. If that’s not possible, having them side-by-side should be fine as well.
- Attach the red clip to your vehicle’s positive terminal. The positive terminal is larger and likely has “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the red clip to other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach the black clip to other vehicle’s negative terminal.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t located near the battery.
- Turn on the working vehicle and wait a few minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle, and try again in a few minutes if it doesn’t work right away.
Avoid a Dead Car Battery
You can help diminish the chances of getting a dead battery by bringing your vehicle in for service and having it replaced in a timely manner. VIP Honda has car batteries on hand, and we provide quick, high-quality auto service. In addition, we’re happy to help with basic car care and maintenance advice. Contact us to learn more!
More From VIP Honda
The Honda Civic has a long legacy of safety and reliability; the 2019 Honda Civic delivers on both of those aspects. Become confident in the Honda Civic by exploring the safety ratings and safety features below; then look at our inventory to find the perfect Honda Civic for sale near Union at VIP Honda. Learn More…
Finding a safe compact SUV is easier now than ever with reliable models like the 2019 Honda CR-V. Check out the impressive safety ratings and features of the Honda CR-V, and see how it can bring peace of mind to your trips from Union to Kenilworth! Learn More View Inventory Contact Us IIHS 2019 CR-V…
When you invest in new tires you want to make them last as long as possible. At VIP Honda we want to help you keep your tires in top shape with proper maintenance and care. Learn more about the ways to keep up your vehicle’s tires with us, and be sure to visit our tire center…