How to Jump Start a Car
It happens to almost every South Plainfield driver at some point: you’re stranded with a car that won’t turn on because the battery is dead. What do you do? Figure out how to jump start your car battery, and count on the team at VIP Honda for a range of automotive tricks and tips.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Before you start, there are a few things you’ll need to get going:
- Jumper cables
- Another vehicle
- A little know-how
From there, follow these steps to get your car running and back on the road:
- First, make sure the problem is with your car battery. If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over at all, chances are the issue is a dead battery.
- Track down a second vehicle or a portable generator. If you have a portable generator with jumper cables, then you’re all set. If not, you’ll need to find a working vehicle and take out a set of jumper cables.
- Put the two cars nose to nose, then make sure both vehicles are in park. This positioning allows the jumper cables to reach both batteries. If that’s not possible, having them side-by-side should be fine as well.
- Attach the red clip to your vehicle’s positive terminal. The positive terminal is larger and likely has “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the red clip to other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach the black clip to other vehicle’s negative terminal.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t located near the battery.
- Turn on the working vehicle and wait a few minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle, and try again in a few minutes if it doesn’t work right away.
Avoid a Dead Car Battery
You can help diminish the chances of getting a dead battery by bringing your vehicle in for service and having it replaced in a timely manner. VIP Honda has car batteries on hand, and we provide quick, high-quality auto service. In addition, we’re happy to help with basic car care and maintenance advice or learn what happens if you don’t change your oil or even your Honda CR-V maintenance schedule. Contact us to learn more!
More From VIP Honda
The Honda Civic has the exterior capability to get you where you need to go with ease and stability. The Honda Civic interior is no exception when it comes to features that will enhance your Union drives. Take a look inside the Honda Civic with VIP Honda, and then feel free to explore our Civic inventory…
View Inventory Contact Us From soccer games in Union and road trips through Edison to everyday drives to school and work in North Plainfield, a family-friendly car serves many purposes. But what Honda is right for you? One thing that all family-friendly Honda vehicles have in common, though, is a solid focus on safety. From strong…
The 2021 Honda Pilot is the upcoming Honda vehicle that is certain to make all the Union drivers’ heads turn. With extra leg room and other features, you’ll be able to bring all of your passengers with room to spare. Take a look inside the Honda Pilot cargo space with VIP Honda and then feel free…