How to Jump Start a Car
It happens to almost every South Plainfield driver at some point: you’re stranded with a car that won’t turn on because the battery is dead. What do you do? Figure out how to jump start your car battery, and count on the team at VIP Honda for a range of automotive tricks and tips.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Before you start, there are a few things you’ll need to get going:
- Jumper cables
- Another vehicle
- A little know-how
From there, follow these steps to get your car running and back on the road:
- First, make sure the problem is with your car battery. If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over at all, chances are the issue is a dead battery.
- Track down a second vehicle or a portable generator. If you have a portable generator with jumper cables, then you’re all set. If not, you’ll need to find a working vehicle and take out a set of jumper cables.
- Put the two cars nose to nose, then make sure both vehicles are in park. This positioning allows the jumper cables to reach both batteries. If that’s not possible, having them side-by-side should be fine as well.
- Attach the red clip to your vehicle’s positive terminal. The positive terminal is larger and likely has “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the red clip to other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach the black clip to other vehicle’s negative terminal.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t located near the battery.
- Turn on the working vehicle and wait a few minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle, and try again in a few minutes if it doesn’t work right away.
Avoid a Dead Car Battery
You can help diminish the chances of getting a dead battery by bringing your vehicle in for service and having it replaced in a timely manner. VIP Honda has car batteries on hand, and we provide quick, high-quality auto service. In addition, we’re happy to help with basic car care and maintenance advice or learn what happens if you don’t change your oil or even your Honda CR-V maintenance schedule. Contact us to learn more!
More From VIP Honda
The 2021 Honda Pilot is the upcoming Honda vehicle that is certain to make all the Union drivers’ heads turn. With extra leg room and other features, you’ll be able to bring all of your passengers with room to spare. Take a look inside the Honda Pilot cargo space with VIP Honda and then feel free…
All-wheel drive systems are designed to actively engage all four wheels for maximum driving performance, but the Honda AWD technology takes this experience up a notch, giving you extra traction and control. Learn more about how Honda AWD works and how it can rev up your North Plainfield commute! Contact Us Honda Tech Tutor How Does…
Year after year, the Honda CR-V separates itself from the competition with is powerful performance, fantastic fuel economy, and terrific features – but just how much can a Honda CR-V tow? If you’ve been wondering if the Honda CR-V towing capacity can keep up with your busy schedule in Union, you’ll be happy to know…