How to Jump Start a Car
It happens to almost every South Plainfield driver at some point: you’re stranded with a car that won’t turn on because the battery is dead. What do you do? Figure out how to jump start your car battery, and count on the team at VIP Honda for a range of automotive tricks and tips.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Before you start, there are a few things you’ll need to get going:
- Jumper cables
- Another vehicle
- A little know-how
From there, follow these steps to get your car running and back on the road:
- First, make sure the problem is with your car battery. If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over at all, chances are the issue is a dead battery.
- Track down a second vehicle or a portable generator. If you have a portable generator with jumper cables, then you’re all set. If not, you’ll need to find a working vehicle and take out a set of jumper cables.
- Put the two cars nose to nose, then make sure both vehicles are in park. This positioning allows the jumper cables to reach both batteries. If that’s not possible, having them side-by-side should be fine as well.
- Attach the red clip to your vehicle’s positive terminal. The positive terminal is larger and likely has “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the red clip to other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach the black clip to other vehicle’s negative terminal.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t located near the battery.
- Turn on the working vehicle and wait a few minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle, and try again in a few minutes if it doesn’t work right away.
Avoid a Dead Car Battery
You can help diminish the chances of getting a dead battery by bringing your vehicle in for service and having it replaced in a timely manner. VIP Honda has car batteries on hand, and we provide quick, high-quality auto service. In addition, we’re happy to help with basic car care and maintenance advice or learn what happens if you don’t change your oil or even your Honda CR-V maintenance schedule. Contact us to learn more!
More From VIP Honda
The Honda Civic sedan is a great choice for Union and South Plainfield drivers, but which trim level is the best fit for your needs: The Honda Civic LX or EX? Here at VIP Honda, we compare price, features, and more of the 2020 Honda Civic LX and 2020 Honda Civic EX models. Learn More About the…
If you’re in the market for a reliable SUV that offers all the space you need on your Union and South Plainfield drive, then the 2020 Honda CR-V dimensions are sure to impress. No matter if you need more passenger or cargo space, the CR-V has everything you need and more with impressive interior and exterior…
Whether you need some extra power on the job site or want to have the strength to haul your trailer or boat to your favorite weekend spot, the Honda Pilot towing capacity has the strength to do it all. Now updated for 2020, VIP Honda is here to break down this powerful SUV’s towing and payload…