How to Jump Start a Car
It happens to almost every South Plainfield driver at some point: you’re stranded with a car that won’t turn on because the battery is dead. What do you do? Figure out how to jump start your car battery, and count on the team at VIP Honda for a range of automotive tricks and tips.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Before you start, there are a few things you’ll need to get going:
- Jumper cables
- Another vehicle
- A little know-how
From there, follow these steps to get your car running and back on the road:
- First, make sure the problem is with your car battery. If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over at all, chances are the issue is a dead battery.
- Track down a second vehicle or a portable generator. If you have a portable generator with jumper cables, then you’re all set. If not, you’ll need to find a working vehicle and take out a set of jumper cables.
- Put the two cars nose to nose, then make sure both vehicles are in park. This positioning allows the jumper cables to reach both batteries. If that’s not possible, having them side-by-side should be fine as well.
- Attach the red clip to your vehicle’s positive terminal. The positive terminal is larger and likely has “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the red clip to other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach the black clip to other vehicle’s negative terminal.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t located near the battery.
- Turn on the working vehicle and wait a few minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle, and try again in a few minutes if it doesn’t work right away.
Avoid a Dead Car Battery
You can help diminish the chances of getting a dead battery by bringing your vehicle in for service and having it replaced in a timely manner. VIP Honda has car batteries on hand, and we provide quick, high-quality auto service. In addition, we’re happy to help with basic car care and maintenance advice. Contact us to learn more!
More From VIP Honda
If you’re curious as to why your Honda Civic Engine Oil Indicator percent is low even after changing the oil, you may need to reset the Honda civic oil light. Not sure where to start? We have you covered! Take the trip from Union to the VIP Honda service center to learn more or so we…
Did you know that the new Honda Civic is considered a fan-favorite among eco-conscious drivers? The MPG ratings for both the city streets and highways are impressive. There are five trims available with the Civic, and each has the efficiency and power Union drivers are looking for and expect. View InventoryContact Us MPG Ratings Per…
The 2019 Honda Accord has more than thirteen exterior color options to choose from at VIP Honda. Add a nice splash of color with a bold red, bright blue, or a stunning shade of green. You can also go neutral and opt for the classic white shade, or go a bit darker with a steel grey,…